A Service Model for Home-based Care in Late Stage Dementia: Scope, Scale and Policy Implications
Dementia care as it exists today in India is threadbare. Quality of life of dementia sufferers needs much improvement. Considering the resource constraints, care models for chronic conditions like dementia will be sustainable only if they are cost effective. Community-based care, preferably at home with a health worker providing domiciliary support, would be ideal, and evidence in support of such care is accumulating. However, implementing such care in real world settings is a challenge even for the well-resourced health systems of high income countries, and most of the responsibilities will have to be entrusted to a low cost workforce with multidisciplinary skills. The author describes a putative model for home-based dementia care that horizontally integrates two programs which already function in Kerala — District Mental Health Program and Palliative Care Program.
2. Beaglehole R, Epping-Jordan J, Patel V, Chopra M, Ebrahim S, Kidd M, et al. Improving the prevention and management of chronic disease in low-income and middle-income countries: a priority for primary health care. Lancet 2008; 372(9642):940–9.
3. Dias A, Patel V. Closing the treatment gap for dementia in India. Indian J Psychiatry 2009; 51 Suppl 1:S93–7.
4. Shaji KS. Dementia care in developing countries: The road ahead. Indian J Psychiatry 2009; 51 Suppl 1:5–7.
5. Planning Commission, Government of India. [homepage on the Internet]. Report of the Committee on Restructuring of Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS). [updated 2014 Nov 5; cited 2014 Nov 18]. Available from: http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/genrep/index.php?repts=report_css.htm.
6. Nikhil UG, Sumesh TP, Anoop G, Shaji KS. Mental health services for older people. Indian J Psychol Med 2014; 36(4):449-50.
7. Tharayil HM, Thomas A, Balan BV, Shaji KS. Mental health care of older people: can the district mental health program of India make a difference? Indian J Psychol Med 2013; 35(4):332–4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.